15 Quotes That Got Me Started On My Platform
I was driving in the car one morning. I was listening to DJ Shadow. The track Warning Call invaded the cavity of my car. Then it hit me. It resonated. It stuck. One line: Its cool to be you when you like what you do! This now forms part of my list of foundation quotes that underpin my message on WorkLikeAnArtist.com
Why Quotes Rock
I love quotes. We all love quotes. Quotes are short snippets of logic and wisdom, often wit, that succinctly state the way things are.
- Quotes are empathetic and provide direction.
- Quotes give us pause and a sense of clarity.
- Quotes inspire and fuel action.
- They make us feel something.
- They encourage aspiration.
- They bring sense to chaos.
- Quotes bring assurance and give authority a point of view.
- They give us insight into great minds.
- Quotes capture the essence of things.
- Quotes carry ideas.
- Legendary business philosopher Jim Rohn refers to quotes as "vitamins for the mind".
When I was starting this blog a number of quotes truly inspired me and gave me a base to build on as I thought about the monumental place work takes in our lives.
I created a brief SlideShare.net pack of the 15 quotes that got me started on my platform: WorkLikeAnArtist.com.
The Principles Behind These Quotes
Taking a look through my 15 foundational quotes you'll find the following principles to apply to our working lives.
- Creative expression, art, is innate in all of us. Art carries purpose and meaning.
- Work is about who we are as people. When we see heart and soul in our work it becomes less about labour and more about life.
- Our work is larger than a job. Doing meaningful work is essential if we are going to do our best work.
- Doing work we love is a right and loving what we do is a choice. Yes, getting what we deserve requires effort.
- Being unique is the start of being valuable. You already have the secret sauce. Tap yourself.
- Focusing on being valuable is the key to thriving as individuals
- Being purposeful about your work increases confidence and self-worth which in turn drives fear and uncertainty away.
- We have to be leaders. Waiting for others to lead us is not an option.
- The most inspirational people, the ones we envy, love what they do. Be cool and love your work.
- Change begins with you. And sometimes this requires a whole new mind and a whole new approach to everything we do.
- If we're not having fun at work, something is wrong.
- To hack the future we have to unlearn a lot of things we were taught.
Thanks for reading another WLAA blog post. What quotes have inspired you? I'd love to know. Leave a comment and if you received this by email just hit reply. Alternatively you can connect on Google+, @krohde and LinkedIn and if you liked this please share on your social networks.